Thursday, July 28, 2011

Paper.




Do you remember these suitcases, that I bought a few weeks ago? It dawned on me this week that they would be the perfect wee display cases for the market I'm doing next month (this one!). There was only one problem with that though : the insides had seen better days. The outsides look okay/retro cool all scuffed up and well loved, but the linings were looking pretty rough and even had kids phone numbers written on them etc.
Fixing this involved doing something I'm reallllly not good at: maths.
Do you remember at school, when you had to make those 3d shapes and draw out the shape, add little tabs, fold them up and glue them etc? Well, it is safe to say I was not very good at it. Not at all.
But, somehow, I managed to draw out, and create, some pretty covers for the little cases out of vintage wallpaper, with only a few mistakes. I'm pretty pleased with them!
It's been a pretty maths-filled week actually, I also had to to grade my kids pants pattern. I started with the 2 year old pattern, that I use for Otto, and came up with 6-9m, 1y, 2y and 3y patterns.Old Mrs Leary from 4th form maths would be very impressed!

Can't say I hope to do more of it in the future though... would much rather stick to cutting and sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Man, I am super impressed with 'grading' your pattern. I wouldn't know where to begin. I just make it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I wish I'd known...if you want to try some blue/green vintage floral wallpaper (70s i think) let me know, I have a roll and would be happy to cut a decent portion off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man I LOVE grading, totally woulda done it for ya. It was my favourite part of my drafting days... get yerself in a rhythm and off you go! Good to see you posting again too love, you've been missed! x

    ReplyDelete