Thursday, May 19, 2011

Once a year.


In my little recipe book, I have some recipes that have been relabelled with their purposes rather than their names. For example : The devil food cake is titled ' THE cake', the potato and corn pie has 'Mums pie' scrawled next to it, and the zucchini loaf recipe is credited to my mother-in-law, Kaye.

The sub-title for my lemon sour cream cake recipe is ' Abraham's birthday cake'. I'm not sure how it ended up being his cake, but I know I have made it for at least 3 or 4 f his birthdays.And, well, long may it continue.. because it really is quite divine. (I admit, it's not as cute as the robot cake I made him a few years ago, but unfortunately taste has to win sometimes. It seems to be that the older I get, that more often that is the case!)

I thought, seeing as I couldn't share the cake, I would offer up the recipe for anyone who might want to give it a whirl. (Who knows that the subtitle might end up being in your book - 'rainy day afternoon'? 'PMS cake'? 'for the hell of it cake'? )






Lemon Sour Cream Cake - Abrahams Birthday Cake!

185g softened butter (I use marg, because well, that's what we always have.)
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tsp lemon rind
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sour cream

Glaze:
Juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup sugar

Pre-heat oven to 160C.
In a large bowl, cream butter/marg and sugar. Add eggs and rind.
Combine the flour and baking powder. Fold both the flour and the sour cream into the creamed mixture, alternatively. (I'm not sure that even makes sense? Basically add half the flour, then half the sour cream, and repeat.)
Mix gently until smooth, and pour into a greased cake pan (I have used both the spring form and a hole-in-the-middle tin. if you use a spring form, it pays to line it with baking paper.). Bake until a knife comes out clean.
Once cooked, wait about 2 minutes. Then pour the glaze over the cake and allow to cool. Apparently this is good served with cream or yogurt. We eat it with soy milk.

NOM.

6 comments:

  1. as soon as I have sour cream, I'll be making one of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..this will be called 'aarons coming for morning tea on saturday cake" thanks for the recipe, lemon cake is my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound very yummy indeed.
    You've reminded me: must collate my recipes into some form of book/order/non iPhone storage system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some mighty fine cake, Mrs L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just commented on this cake over at Pod and Three Peas, so I guess it will be my 'stops my tea being lonely' cake.

    ReplyDelete