Sunday, July 11, 2010

The mighty sallies book fair.

Every year, around this time, the Sallies has a three day book fair.
Last year I gave it a miss, mostly due to having spent entirely too much the year before, but this year I just couldn't drive past without stopping to poke around in the piles of pages.


For just ten dollars I came away wait a huge stack of books, for myself and for the rest of the family.
Some of the highlights were: a dictionary of slang (who knew there were 6 pages of f-word variations?!), a dictionary of modern addtions to english language, some vintage craft booklets, a stack of kiddies books (including a lovely old copy of 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' for my niece of nephew who is still yet to arrive.), a family knitting book with the singlet pattern I've been searching for and the 'Everything is illuminated' novel. It is one of my all-time favourite movies so I was very stoked to find this. (The previous owner has scrawled on the inside of the cover 'I didn't get it, good luck!' which cracks me up.)


I also found these two books of paintings. One the artist Paul Gauguin and one of 18th century French paintings. I'm not usually a huge fan of fine art but, for some reason, I quite like books about it. How can one resist the beauty displayed in the old French paintings? These are some of my favourites:

1 comment:

  1. Top finds indeed!! Very Hungry Caterpillar was an enormous fave here, and still is when we visit Harper's house. And that art!! Jonathan Safran Foer!! Wicked haul.

    ReplyDelete