Sunday, January 10, 2010

Summer evenings.


Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am not Summers biggest fan.
I don't like the sticky, sweatiness that comes with higher temperatures. I don't like baring my ample body in clothes that don't cover everything I want them to. I don't like the flies, the midges and the other creepy crawlies that seem to relish the humidity. I don't even much like swimming, or the beach for that matter.
But, you know what I DO love? The long, light evenings.
I love sitting outside after four, when the sun has cooled a little and the humidity seems to have dispersed a tad, just sitting and relaxing. Then pottering around, watering the garden and the lawn (which, as you can see, I haven't done enough of lately!), getting the washing in and just generally enjoying how long the day feels.
Then there's that time when the kiddies have gone to bed, sitting in the lounge with a belly full of summer food, all the windows wide open, a glass of wine in one hand, a needle and thread in the other, the TV in front of me and my yo-yo quilt on my lap. There really is nothing nicer.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! you think your lawn is brown?! Ours has given up on life completely. I agree, summer sucks, but the long evenings are nice. I'm an autumn girl myself, give me april/may any day :o)

    ReplyDelete