Monday, January 18, 2010

A real young man.






Aesop is going to be five soon.
He is growing into a very fine young man. He is very, very clever, very well mannered and, if I  do say so myself, pretty darned handsome. He's funny and he's imaginative, everyone we meet tells me what a character and a delight he is.  He is the best big brother anyone could ask for, always looking out for Otto, sharing his toys with him, carrying him around and trying to make him laugh. Basically, He's awesome.

As much as I hate to say it, Aesop and I haven't been getting along too well lately.
Aesop talks ALOT. In fact, I'm pretty sure his mouth never stops moving. He has always talked alot, and we sort of just accepted the fact and got used to it, I mean he started making talking noises the day he was born, what did we expect? But since turning four Aesop also seems to argue ALOT, he nearly constantly goes about telling me I'm wrong, he talks back, he asks a trillion questions and then doesn't listen to the answers, and, worse of all, he fibs.
I'm pretty sure this is all completely normal four year old behaviour. I've heard the' four is even harder than two' and all about the surges of hormones and what-not, and I don't doubt that that's what this is, but by golly am I struggling with it. Perhaps it's the lack of sleep? The attention that I need to shower on Otto at the same time? The struggling for just one quiet moment in the day? Who knows, but it really sucks.
Does anyone else have this problem? Obviously I love love love the boy to pieces and we still have some really great times together, but I feel like I spend much too much time feeling grouchy with him, having to growl at him and sitting him on the naughty chair. Will this just pass, or is there something I need to do that I just haven't clicked onto yet? Do I just need to let the naughtiness slide sometimes to keep the peace?
I just want to start having fun with him and make the most of the next few years before he gets to the stage where I'm not cool anymore and he'd rather aim his magnitudes of speech at someone else. Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Man- I feel exactly the same way at the moment with Isla! EVERYTHING is an argument/debate/tirade of questions and explanations. I love her and I want us to have happy times together, enjoying eachother's company and having fun, but I feel like she makes everything into such a battle that sometimes it's really hard to keep my cool! I have a degree in Early Childhood Education, and almost a decade's experience working with children-so I'd like to think that I know what makes children tick-but nothing could prepare me for having my own! However if you wanted to discuss some behaviour management strategies I'd be happy to suggest some tricks I've picked up over the years-just flick me an email. I'm sure you're doing a great job-it's hard juggling two children. It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only mother tearing her hair out some days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Aesop is a challenge, alright :)

    I can't help but think that hormones, combined with average 4yr-old-ness in conjunction with an incredible grasp of the English language is making life hard for us.

    He's just a strong willed kid, who is very opinionated and tries to get the most of life (read: his parents and grandparents). Reminds me of someone I met 9 years ago :)

    We'll get there. School will mellow him out and Otto talking will hopefully mean he has to stop talking for a while to listen to his favourite person in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh I feel ya. But now that Han has discovered friends in the neighbourhood, I never see her! So now I'm in guilt mode for not playing with her when she wanted to :/

    But yeah, grumpy mummy mode. It sucks for everyone! Make sure you are looking after yourself, so you can be the happiest possible mama. I'm always grumpiest mama when I forget to eat properly. :P

    xo

    ReplyDelete